I’m looking forward to the following deal “informally mediated” by Joris:
- 1. [Hone Harawira and the Maori Party] would write a personal letter of apology to [Pakeha New Zealanders]
- 2. [Hone Harawira] would offer to meet with the [Leaders of the Pakeha community]
- 3. The Race Relations Commissioner would be invited to address a seminar for [Hone Harawira and the Maori Party (and any other MP)] on race relations
- 4. [The NZ Parliament and the Maori Party] would in general uphold the complaints it had received rather than contest them before [the NZ public]
- 5. [The Maori Party and Hone Harawira] would continue to look at ways to promote positive race relations in New Zealand
- 6. [The Maori Party] would adopt a new policy for its [MPs] who were in a position to lead and shape opinion, that judgments based solely on race, colour or creed were offensive and would not be tolerated.
- I especially love the last one. It would effectively leave the Maori Party without any policies left.